[phenixbb] Questions about molecular replacement.

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 27 09:02:58 PDT 2009

Hi,

Those are fairly high LLG values, and the jump when you add the fourth
molecule is big.  R-factors are very insensitive for unrefined models
from templates that don't have high sequence identity, so it's not
that surprising that both R-factors are in the random range.  I would
worry more about the failure of refinement to reduce the R-factors
than about how high they are immediately after molecular replacement.

You can get big LLG values either by having a correct solution with a
reasonably good model, or by reproducing the translations of
translational NCS with an otherwise wrong solution.  Does xtriage show
a big peak in the native Patterson?

Assuming you have data to a reasonable resolution, 3 or 4-fold
averaging should give you a good map to rebuild the structure, and NCS
restraints should help the refinement.  But if the resolution is poor
or if there's some other issue (e.g. twinning or translational NCS),
then it could be more difficult to proceed.

You could send me the logfile from the Phaser part of the AutoMR run
(preferably off-line), and I could see if there's anything that would
worry me.

Regards,

Randy Read