[phenixbb] reflection file utility and use of modified phases in refinement

Engin Ozkan eozkan at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 27 20:59:25 PDT 2009

Hi everybody,

I had some trouble with the reflection file utility today. I've been
trying to import Rfree-flag column from one of the mtz's to my combined
mtz, and it never does. The R-free flag is always left out of the output
even when I have it selected. Have you guys seen this (I'm using 147)?

Another question I have is about the output of phenix.autobuild.
Phenix.autobuild tells me to use modified phase probabilities (HLAM,
etc.) in refinement. I am assuming this is density-modified phases. But
I've always thought that this would be bad practice (possibly because of
unrealistically high FOMs and possible flattening of loops, etc, but
maybe resolve does a better job than, say DM). Any ideas on that one?

Thanks,

Engin

--
Engin Özkan