[phenixbb] "Negative reflections" (previously Are sigma cutoffs for R-free reflections cheating?)

Ed Pozharski epozh001 at umaryland.edu
Mon Dec 7 07:25:10 PST 2009

Sacha,

No, it won't.  I believe Pavel and I agree that assigning zero
amplitudes to negative intensity reflections is wrong.  The question is
should such reflections be excluded from refinement *if* the mistake has
already been made.  My uneducated guess is that Pavel believes that this
will have undetectable effect on a final model.  I am, as usual,
clueless.

Privet,

Ed.

On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 08:06 +0100, Alexandre OURJOUMTSEV wrote:
> Hi, Ed and Pavel,
>
> > No, of course. I was just wondering how better (and what is
> > "better" in  this case) the refinement results will be if one
> includes the
> > negative (zero) reflections into the process of refinement, and did
> > anyone clearly demonstrate it.
>
> Can the work below help your discussion?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sacha

Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore
When the Way is forgotten duty and justice appear;
Then knowledge and wisdom are born along with hypocrisy.
When harmonious relationships dissolve then respect and devotion arise;
When a nation falls to chaos then loyalty and patriotism are born.