[phenixbb] Is it possible to do Molecular Replacement for synthesized "small" molecule X-ray data?

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 12:18:17 PST 2009

Dear Yves,

That's probably getting close to the limit of the ratio of the size of the
molecule to the resolution, which is one of the main things determining
whether molecular replacement will work. At 1.5A, you'd have to have a
pretty accurate model of the structure as well (i.e. RMSD signficantly
under 1A, at a guess). Another problem with molecular replacement for small
molecules is that small molecule crystals tend to be tightly packed, which
makes things somewhat harder. Nonetheless, I've done test calculations in
the past that show it can work.

One thing you should watch out for: Phaser only accepts atoms that are
given as ATOM records in a PDB file, so if you have HETATM records, those
atoms will be rejected.

If you'd like to send the logfile from Phaser (preferably off-line), I
could take a look at it.

Regards,

Randy Read