[phenixbb] Side chain at special position

Nate Nicely neeltgen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 12:16:13 PST 2009

I have a structure wherein the data show alternate conformations for a particular Trp side chain.  The problem is that each of these conformations also occupies a special position:  rotamer A clashes with rotamer A of the symmetry object, and similar for rotamer B.  I'm attaching a screenshot wherein I tried to capture what's going on.  The prerefined structure has a yellow carbon backbone, and you can see how refinement pushes rotamer A out of its rightful place in the map.  I readjusted it and added the alternate conformation as seen in the green carbon backbone, but refinement after that just pushes apart both rotamers (not shown).  I'd appreciate advice how to handle refining this structure in phenix.

Thanks,

Nate N