[phenixbb] question about xn joint refinement

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Jan 2 23:07:06 PST 2009

Hi Qun,

- I agree with Ralf: the version you use is really old and I would
suggest using the latest available that you can download from this web
page: http://www.phenix-online.org/download/

- When you run joint XN refinement, you need to explicitly specify which
data is neutron and which is X-ray (there is no (reliable) way for
phenix.refine to figure this out automatically). So, I would correct
your command below as following and run again:

phenix.refine xray_data.file_name=dhfr-mtx-rt-xray.hkl
neutron_data.file_name=newdhfr_un_change.hkl xn_easy_080326a.pdb
input.xray_data.labels=FOBSx input.neutron_data.labels=FOBSn
xray_data.r_free_flags.generate=True
neutron_data.r_free_flags.generate=True refine_default.params

The fraction of your file "refine_default.params" looks good to me. The
choice for scattering dictionary is automatically adjusted given the
input data. I agree it is a bit confusing the way it's reported in
parameters file, I'm making a note of this right now and I will make it
clearer in future.

A few points to keep in mind doing joint XN refinement:
- you can automatically add H atoms as well as exchangeable H/D using
phenix.ready_set. Example:
phenix.ready_set model.pdb

- when doing joint XN refinement, try using "optimize_wxc=true
optimize_wxu=true". This might be essential to get a good result.

- also, I would recommend running separate X-ray and Neutron refinements
to compare with.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with this; I
will be happy to help with any issues.

Cheers,
Pavel.