[phenixbb] phenix v1.4-3 and NX

Jesper Lykkegaard Karlsen jelka at bioxray.au.dk
Fri Jan 9 03:52:50 PST 2009

Hi,

After upgrading our workstations to phenix v1.4-3, the user started
having problems connecting to the machines through nxclient. The login
ended up with a black screen on the client and absolutely no error
messages on neither client nor server.

The problem seemed to come from setting up the global environment for
phenix (phenix_env.sh). I narrowed the problematic statement down to this:

/if [ "$PHENIX_MTYPE" = "unknown-unknown" ]; then
  exit 1
fi/

Although "$PHENIX_MTYPE" = "intel-linux-2.6-x86_64" when logged in,
somehow the "nx user" gets "$PHENIX_MTYPE" = "unknown-unknown" when it
logs in, through it's authorization key, to establish the users session.

To make a already to long story short. The problem can be fixed by
commenting out the problematic statement above.

And one question to the developers:

Could this be avoided in the future?
Perhaps give a warning instead off exiting completly!

Sincerely
Jesper

--
Jesper L. Karlsen