[phenixbb] Disappearing side chains after autobuilding

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 21 14:17:27 PST 2009

Hi Katya,

Yes, this is a bug, and it is fixed in our working version, but you
don't have it yet. I'm sorry about that! The problem was basically
that autobuild tries to cross the original model (with truncated side
chains) with a rebuilt model, and it uses the whole-residue
correlation coefficient to decide which is better. If one of the
residues has no side chain (i.e., if you supplied a sequence file that
is different than the starting model) the one with no side chain
doesn't include the side-chain region in the correlation. Sometimes
that gives a higher correlation and the one with the side chain never
gets taken. It should instead use the correlation over the same region
for the 2 models...

All the best,
-Tom T