[phenixbb] source of fobs for refinement after AutoSol

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 9 08:12:26 PDT 2009

Hi James,

Yes, that is correct.

However if you want...you can just go on to AutoBuild and build a new
model from scratch and generate a set of free R flags there, supplying
your data as data=mydata.sca. I would recommend this anyway because
AutoBuild makes a much better model than AutoSol, and including the
model from AutoSol doesn't necessarily help (and can make it worse if
the AutoSol model is really incomplete, such as from secondary-
structure-only model-building). I use the AutoSol model-building just
to see if things are going well and then I throw that model away.
This is also the default when you use "after_autosol=True" in
AutoBuild and when you run the AutoBuild GUI after running AutoSol. It
is convenient to use the data and freeR in in
exptl_fobs_phases_freeR_flags_*.mtz from AutoSol but you don't have to.

The key of course is:  once you refine a model and want to use that
model further...you must use the set of free R flags used in that
original refinement from then on.  If you throw away that model and
start from scratch you can also make a new set of free R flags. The
hexdigest REMARK in your PDB file from phenix.refine helps you make
sure that this is done correctly.

All the best,
Tom T