[phenixbb] new gui on osx (10.5)

Ben Eisenbraun bene at crystal.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 24 08:04:45 PDT 2009

Hi Miguel,

Although you referenced my earlier post, we may not be talking about the
same situation.  In our case, the installation is on an NFS volume, but the
software runs on the local machine.

> We would like to run the new phenix GUIs from a remote computer. Both
> server and clients are OSX 10.5 (leopard) and they have the same
> versions of software (X11, python, phenix... all them pretty new
> versions) When trying to do so, we invariably get this error:

This sounds like you want to X-foward the PHENIX GUI from the server to the
client, which won't work, because the phenix2 GUI is not X11-based.  Cocoa
applications can't be forwarded over the network, although you can use
something like Apple Remote Desktop to control the application on the
server.

> http://www.phenix-online.org/pipermail/phenixbb/2008-July/001129.html

> My question is: was this issue solved and I missed that? If not,
> anyone has a clue on how to solve the problem?

Our issue was resolved with the next release.  I didn't dig too deeply
trying to figure out what the problem was.  My dim recollection is that
Paul mentioned they were updating to a new wxPython for that update, and
I suspect that was the fix.

-ben

--
| Ben Eisenbraun                              | Software Maintainer    |
| Structural Biology Grid                     | http://sbgrid.org      |