[phenixbb] not enough memory error in Resolve/AutobuildWizard

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 3 09:27:09 PDT 2009

Hi Tatiana,

This may be a little difficult to debug on a cluster...but here goes.

The error message you got comes from

AutoBuild_run_1_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_1_/TEMP0/temporary.com

You can see exactly what happens with that command file if you can log on
to a machine in the cluster:

cd AutoBuild_run_1_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_1_/TEMP0

then copy temporary.com to test.com and edit test.com to replace all the
material at the top of the file after #!/bin/csh -f (something like this
below) all the way down to "outputdir":

delete all this:
-------------
setenv CCP4_OPEN UNKNOWNsetenv SOLVEDIR
/Users/terwill/unix/PHENIX/phenix-1.4-67/solve_resolve/ext_ref_files
setenv SYMOP
/Users/terwill/unix/PHENIX/phenix-1.4-67/solve_resolve/ext_ref_file
s/symop.lib
/Users/terwill/unix/PHENIX/phenix-1.4-67/build/mac-intel-osx/solve_resolve/exe/r
esolve <<EOD > AutoBuild_run_1_/TEMP0/image.log
access_file mirima.dat
workdir AutoBuild_run_1_/TEMP0
outputdir /Users/Shared/unix/transfer/shiven/AutoBuild_run_6_
-------------

replace with:

phenix.resolve --huge <<EOD

and then run ./test.com ....it should bomb and tell you what is wrong.

It is possible that the size of your problem is too big for even the 8 GB
of memory on your machine, but that would imply a pretty big cell and
moderate or high resolution.  Hopefully the output of that test will tell
you...

Just to be sure, you might also go to the phenix web site and download a
recent "nightly build" to make sure that there is not some other type of
problem going on.

All the best,
Tom T