[phenixbb] refinement question

Francis E Reyes Francis.Reyes at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jun 26 08:59:30 PDT 2009

NCS restraints increases the data:parameter ratio in low resolution
situations. Others have suggested not releasing NCS restraints unless
your resolution is > 2.0A and the model is complete (as including NCS
can help you build/complete your model with the use of NCS averaged
maps). When you do not include NCS, do you see sidechain differences
among the monomers making up the NCS?

Personally I keep NCS in unless I do see genuine differences among the
monomers (which could be biologically significant depending on your
system). Of course these small differences (say in a binding pocket)
would likely need to be verified with omit maps or even better,
biochemically.

Just my 0.02.

FR