[phenixbb] refinement with a covalent inhibitor.

Nigel W Moriarty NWMoriarty at lbl.gov
Tue Mar 17 12:09:46 PDT 2009

Maia

Using PHENIX 1.4-4 and 1.4-6, eLBOW generates a CIF with 4 planar groups
including the carboxyl group missing from the earlier PHENIX version I
believe you used.  I have attached it.  There are a few other things I
should mention.

I used a tool called ReadySet!

phenix.ready_set model.pdb

which will generate (using eLBOW) CIF files for all the ligands in the
model using the data from the Chemical Components database from the
PDB.  I would recommend that you use ReadySet! for preparing a PDB file
for refinement.  It also adds hydrogens to your model which is usually a
good thing.

Your example does have some nuances.  You mention that it is covalently
bound to the CYS.  I have attached the two additional files needed to
inform phenix.refine of the covalent bond.  I used eLBOW directly for
this but will ensure that ReadySet! will do the same function in the
next release.

An additional function that I have been working on recently is the
removal of the hydrogen in a carboxyl group when the ligand is in the
model.  I shall have that in the next PHENIX release.

Finally, I did a refinement using dummy reflection data and the carboxyl
group remained planar.

If you have any problems with any of the files, feel free to contact me
directly.

Nigel

--
Nigel W. Moriarty, Ph.D.
Building 64R0246B, Physical Biosciences Division