[phenixbb] ncs

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Tue May 5 14:31:46 PDT 2009

Hi Maia,

you can try to build a new test set of reflections using "thin shells"
algorithm. PHENIX can't create such test set, so you need to use an
outside program that can generate it. Make sure you generate the same
number of test reflections.

However, and this is a *big* however, you will have to remove the
"memory" from newly generated test set. How? Remove all waters, reset
all B-factors to average one, shake coordinates to achieve rmsd~1A and
then run 10-20 macro-cycles of refinement in phenix.refine (or until the
R-factors stop changing), that will include:
- simulated-annealing;
- automatic water picking;
- refinement of individual coordinates and B-factors;
- after you have done this run, run the second run of simple xyz and
b-factors refinement using "optimize_wxc=true optimize_wxu=true".

Repeat the above steps with and w/o NCS. What do you get?

I would also do the above extensive model shaking/re-refining using the
original test set, just to make sure that this will not be enough to
make the Rfree-Rwork, Rwork and Rfree change significantly without
resorting to a different test set.

Pavel.