[phenixbb] re-run jobs in GUI

Nathaniel Echols NEchols at lbl.gov
Wed Nov 4 08:34:24 PST 2009

On Nov 4, 2009, at 8:08 AM, Leo Sazanov wrote:
> Hi, in a new GUI how can one re-run previous jobs (to make some
> modifications to them)?

Open the main GUI (the command 'phenix', or click the home button on
the toolbar of any other program), click the "job history" toolbar
button, select a job from the list, and click "restore results".  This
should restore both the results tab or window, and the configuration.
There is also a "restore last job [for the current project]" button on
the toolbar.  Any inconsistencies here are definitely a bug, but it
was working for most programs in 1.5-2.  (The main exception is the
reflection file editor, but that will also save/restore results in the
next available nightly build.)

> If I just try to open parameter (.eff) file from the main file menu in
> Autobuild, the file does not show up, even though it exists.
> Just adding it to the list of input files works, but the information
> is
> not passed on into GUI?

It's a little complicated right now.  If you want to apply the
contents of a parameter file, this is best done at startup - e.g. drag
and drop the file onto the launch icon, or use it as a command line
argument ('phenix.autobuild params.eff').  For phenix.refine, you can
also save default parameters (Preferences->Refinement, or project
settings, or from the utilities menu) and it will start with them pre-
loaded.  Once the program window is drawn, however, it's clumsier -
files *should* be passed down to the command-line module (if not, also
a bug), but they won't immediately be applied to the GUI, because of
the way it tracks parameters internally.

I can't promise that every pre-existing configuration file will be
processed cleanly by the GUI - it's difficult to anticipate what users
will try to do.  If you encounter cases where the parameters are
misinterpreted, let me know.

Nathaniel Echols
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
510-486-5136