[phenixbb] molecular replacement - restricting rotation around a specified orientation

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 6 04:50:48 PST 2009

Hi,

At the moment, those are things that you can't do within the Phenix
interface. Within a month or two (thanks to work that Airlie McCoy and Nat
Echols are doing), there will be a new GUI that will allow all options of
Phaser to be used within Phenix.

Presumably you don't want to wait that long! So, in the meantime, you can
use command scripts or use the ccp4i interface to run the version of Phaser
distributed with CCP4. I think the documentation on our web-page should be
reasonably clear for your first question but, if you run into problems,
please get in touch off-line. Basically, for the ROTATE AROUND search, you
start with an N-lobe in the orientation it should be in to interact with
the original C-lobe, then you find orientations near the angle that is
applied to the C-lobe in your partial solution. In other words, your first
option should work.

For normal modes, you run a separate normal modes job to write out the
perturbed structures. It also writes out a ".sol" file that defines the
ENSEMBLEs corresponding to each of the structures, and SEARCH commands to
tell Phaser to search with each of these as alternatives. You can then
include that in your script to run automated MR with each of the perturbed
structures (with a command like "@nma.sol"). If you're using the ccp4i GUI,
you can include this .sol file as if it defined a previous partial solution
but then (if I remember correctly -- I'm in Japan at the moment) you have
to use the "Run&View Com File" command to edit the automatically-generated
command script, which will have an extra SEARCH command in it.

Regards,

Randy Read