[phenixbb] Refinement with partial model - question

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Thu Apr 1 08:23:57 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,

> I have a partial model at low resolution.  Is there a way  let
> Phenix.refine know the model is not complete and that when a mask is
> calculated for bulk solvent correction it should take this fact into
> consideration ?

No. Bulk solvent mask is set up everywhere where there is no model. May
be it is a reasonable approximation at early stage of refinement to have
something in that area than vacuum?

> Alternatively, is there a program that will build dummy atoms (zero
> occupancy) automatically in a map in all peaks above a certain sigma
> (i.e. atoms just for mask calculation).

I'm not aware of such program although it's a couple of hours to write
one. I would probably even write it if I ever see a clear need for it or
evidence for its usefulness. So far I don't understand why you really
need it?