[phenixbb] Optimizing the Geometry Weight for a 2.76 A structure

det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 2 14:04:58 PDT 2010

Dear Phil,

    I don't have access to vol 277 of Met Enz here, which is sad since
I wrote a chapter in the thing, so I can't comment on Axel's exact
words.

    I agree that the uncertainty in the ability of the free R estimate
based on a subset of reflections to predict the mean of the free R
calculated from all possible test sets of that size is proportional to 1/N.

    My point is that the pdf of the difference of two random variables
is not the same as the pdf of either of them.  You have to know the
coupling between them to decide if the difference between them has
greater or less precision than the individual variable.  For example,
let's assume two measurements with a precision of 1% but the difference
in the two measurements is 0.5%.  This small difference can be
significant if the causes of the uncertainties are systematic.  The
"errors" would cancel out.

    I believe the fluctuations in free R estimate due to the small size
of the test set are due to the particular indices in the test set and
therefore mainly systematic.  The intensities of some reflections may
have been measured better than others and your test set may happen to
be more enriched with those, resulting is a slightly lower free R
estimate.  Since the test set is always the same during refinement the
benefit of this enrichment (or detriment if you were unlucky) will be
subtracted out when you compare the two free R estimates during your
optimization.  I expect the difference between two free R estimates
(using the same test set) will be a more precise indicator of the true
change in free R than either estimate is in predicting the free R itself.

Dale