[phenixbb] Torsion angels refinement question

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Sat Apr 3 19:32:06 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,

when using torsion angle parameterization you need to use simulated
annealing based refinement. Gradient-driven minimization (without using
second derivatives) will not perform well.

To enable it in your refinement:

phenix.refine model.pdb data.mtz simulated_annealing_torsion=true

I would recommend running a SA refinement in Cartesian space too - just
for comparison:

phenix.refine model.pdb data.mtz simulated_annealing=true

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to discuss
this subject some more.

Pavel.