[phenixbb] model vs Wilson b-factor

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:02:47 PDT 2010

   It's also true that the Wilson B calculation assumes that all the B factors
in the crystal are the same - which is also far from the true in most macromolecular
crystals.  A person who holds to the practice of aggressively building water
molecules and loops will create a model with a higher average B than one who
uses the same data but is more restrained.  The Wilson B will, of course, be
unchanged.

   If you have a protein that is equally ordered throughout and you do not
build in weak water molecules and the crystal diffracts high enough to allow
a reasonably accurate calculation of the Wilson B, your average B and and the
Wilson B should be close to each other.  If your protein has mobile loops,
which most lower resolution crystals do (and most higher resolution crystals
for that matter) then your average B will be larger than your Wilson B.

   Since the Wilson B and the average B are such different quantities I don't
believe there are any useful conclusions that can be made by comparing the
two.  If you want to see if your model is consistent with your Wilson B you
should calculate F squared values from it and calculate a Wilson B from those.
If the calculated Wilson B doesn't match the observed Wilson B your model has
a serious problem, but I expect that every refinement program will produce
models that match quite closely - even models that are quite wrong will at
least match the Wilson B.  A discrepancy between calculated and observed
Wilson B causes a horrible increase in R values (both kinds) which is easily
fixed by the refinement program adjusting whatever B values are being refined.

Dale Tronrud