[phenixbb] high average b-factor vs. Wilson B

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 4 08:28:31 PDT 2010

  Hi Gino,

just a few comments:

> I am aware of all approximation made in defining the Wilson B-factor and how one should not take the Wilson B-factor too literally (etc.. etc...). But, as a matter of fact, Phenix kept over-refining my B-factor to crazy values.

I would say refining and not over-refining, because nobody knows where
"over" starts.

> 1. Was your diffraction anisotropic? If so, try the
> Diffraction Anisotropy Server. The server applies a negative isotropic B-factor correction to your data. In my case, corrected structure factor amplitudes resulted in a 2.5% drop in the Rfree

That server removes reflections by sigma value and in selected
directions. In some cases it can easily be a few thousands of Fobs. So,
it it not surprising that the R-factors dropped. You can't compare the
R-factors for the datasets containing different amount of reflections.

> and the average B-factor of my structure

and it is not surprising that the B-factor dropped: instead of keeping
it in ATOM records you gave it away to uncle Sam, by applying negative-B
correction. Just a trade, matter of where you keep these extra B-factor
value.

> SECOND
> How many macrocycles of refinement are you using?
> In my case Phenix kept bumping up the average B-factor of my structure by ~10A2 macrocycle. A 10 macrocycles refinement would bring the averaged B-factor to ~200A2. So don't over-refine.
> Stick to 2-3 cycles (provided your geometry is good, of course).

Interesting. I've never seen it before. Did you try to change the target
weights for ADP refinement: manually or automatically? If you did and
none helped (although I'm still not sure if help is needed) I would be
interested to see the data and model.

> THIRD
> Do you have NCS and are you using TLS?
> If so, try to first use NCS to refine atom positions,
> then do TLS refinement without imposing NCS.
> If you think about, it doesn't make too much sense to use ncs-restraints when splitting a structure in TLS groups.

Regarding NCS: in ADP refinement it is applied only to local ADPs, and
not total ones. See recent publication regarding this in PHENIX newsletter:
http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/CCN_2010_07.pdf
see page 28.

So you can safely refine everything in one go (I guess).

All the best!