[phenixbb] Phenix reflection statistics

Phil Evans pre at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 13:14:30 PDT 2010

Correlation coefficients assume that the data correlated all arise from the same underlying distribution. This is not true for Fs, since low resolution Fs tend to be larger than high resolution ones. CCs are probably valid in resolution shells. Over all resolution ranges you just see a correlation due the average F effect. This is why in my program Pointless I use CC on E^2, which removes (most of) this effect

The correlation coefficient is just the slope of the LSQ line through a scatter plot of (say) F1 vs. F2, so you can see the large resolution Fs will be at the top right of the scatter plot even if they're not the same, small low reso ones at bottom left

Phil