[phenixbb] advice for refinement with anomalous information

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 11 18:27:31 PDT 2010

  Hi Vincent,

- I would add that ion and refine its occupancy and anisotropic ADPs...
Oh, I see, the resolution is 3.4A, well, then I would try first
isotropic ones.
- if the data set you are using contains Fobs(+) and Fobs(-), (and not
merged Fobs_merged = 0.5*(Fobs(+) + Fobs(-))), I would refine f' and f''
of the anomalous scatterer.

After having done this, check if the residual density is clear, and keep
in mind that unbalanced syntheses may have Fourier truncation ripples
around heavy atom, see relevant discussion here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg14835.html

and some pictures here:
http://www.phenix-online.org/presentations/latest/pavel_maps.pdf

In general, getting rid of an unmodeled density is good in a sense that
it has a potential to improve the density everywhere else and you may
better model other some other parts of your structure, so you get a
better model overall.

Let me know if you need any help with trying the above suggestions.

Good luck!
Pavel.