[phenixbb] phenix.ready_set hydrogens not compatable with coot library

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Mon Aug 23 13:30:42 PDT 2010

Hi Phil,

By default in PHENIX hydrogens are treated as riding model, and as you
say they are important for preventing steric clashes from developing
during refinement.  When used in refinement, however, it is very
important to include them in your deposition because how their
B-factor terms are specified and handled is essential to understanding
where the final model came from.  Further, the final position of some
of the hydrogens is difficult to predict (such as a rotatable methyl
group), so knowing what the final positions are for such hydrogen
atoms is necessary to account for the deposited model and refinement
statistics.  Without deposition atomic positions and B-factor
information for H atoms will be lost.  I don't think that having them
in your model implies that you can see them necessarily, but rather
implies that you know with fairly high accuracy where they are
(assuming your heavy atom positions are correct) and thus used them to
arrive at your final model.

When using Coot from the PHENIX GUI, there is an option to turn the H
atoms off in the display if you do find them to clutter the screen too
much.  Showing them in Coot can be useful, though, as Coot is able to
display Probe dots to help in guiding hand-correction of problem areas
in your model.

Jeff