[phenixbb] Problem with low figure of merit

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 31 09:02:17 PDT 2010

Hi Shankar,

I would say this is a very promising result for a dataset with rather weak
phasing.  Yes, phenix.autosol does estimate the solvent fraction for your
crystal.  It initially guesses the number of NCS copies that places your
solvent fraction in the range of 0.35 to 0.65.  If you know that your
solvent fraction is higher than this, then it is a good idea to specify,

solvent_fraction=0.82

or whatever your solvent fraction is.  In recent versions of
phenix.autosol, once NCS is found, this can override the initial guess of
solvent fraction (but does not override a value that you specify).

You won't be able to improve your figure of merit of phasing with a change
in solvent content, but as you suspect, you might indeed be able to
improve the map.

I would recommend going on to use phenix.autobuild at this point,
specifying the solvent content in your inputs.  I would expect this to
yield a good model for this structure.

All the best,
Tom T