[phenixbb] ncs restraints

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Dec 7 20:57:52 PST 2010

  Hi Timothy,

the default values (coordinate_sigma = 0.05 , b_factor_weight = 10)
should be good in most cases. It depends what you call "looser". Yes,
you can make them looser by increasing coordinate_sigma (for refinement
of individual coordinates), and decreasing b_factor_weight (for
individual isotropic B-factor refinement). You can do it specifically
for selected atoms, since you can define as many NCS related groups of
atoms as you wish and each defined with their individual weights:

http://phenix-online.org/documentation/refinement.htm#anch24

refinement.ncs.restraint_group {
   reference = chain A resid 1:4
   selection = chain B and resid 1:3
   selection = chain C
   coordinate_sigma = 0.05
   b_factor_weight = 10
}
refinement.ncs.restraint_group {
   reference = chain E
   selection = chain F
   coordinate_sigma = 0.025
   b_factor_weight = 3
}
refinement.ncs.restraint_group {
   reference = chain Z and backbone
   selection = chain F and backbone
}
refinement.ncs.restraint_group {
   reference = chain Z and sidechain
   selection = chain F and sidechain
   selection = (chain I or chain K) and sidechain
}

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pavel.