[phenixbb] ADP restraints - distance power, average power, etc

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 19 14:55:12 PST 2010

Hi Joe,
Below are some notes regarding our ADP restraints. At your resolution the
defaults may be too tight.
The choice of scattering table shouldn't matter, except for small runtime
differences. (You can find some notes here:
http://cci.lbl.gov/publications/download/iucrcompcomm_jan2004.pdf
section 4.)
Ralf

We use "local sphere restraints".

  adp_restraints {
    iso {
      sphere_radius = 5.0
      distance_power = 1.69
      average_power = 1.03
    }
  }

The basic idea is to restrain each adp to the average of all its
neighbors within a sphere of a given radius (sphere_radius = 5). The
contribution to the refinement target function is:

                                   (u_i - u_j)**2
  1 / (r_ij ** distance_power) * ----------------------------------
                                  ((u_i + u_j)/2) ** average_power

These terms are computed over a double sum: loop over each atom, loop
over all neighbors of the atom. I'm not sure anymore how exactly we
arrived at distance_power = 1.69 and average_power = 1.03.
You can try different values for distance_power to change the
tightness of the restraints as a function of the distance of
a pair of atoms. The average_power links the tightness to the
absolute value of the adp; average_power=0 turns this feature off.

There are some remarks about this in the "ADP refinement" section in
this old newsletter article:

  http://www.phenix-online.org/papers/ccp4_july_2005_afonine.pdf

The formulas are a bit different (above is current), but the ideas
still apply.