[phenixbb] K(sol) and B(sol)

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 19 18:45:20 PST 2010

Hi Jon,

for the Flat Balk solvent model:

k_sol has a meaning of average solvent density, and its physically
reasonable range is approximately from 0.2 to 0.6 e/A**3, with the
average value ~0.35 (for all PDB entries).
B_sol defines a smearing function that describes how deeply the bulk
solvent penetrates into the model, and the value ranges from ~10-80A**2,
with the mean ~46A**2.

The contribution of the bulk solvent to the total structure factor Fmodel:

Fmodel = scale_k1 * exp(-h*U_overall*ht) * (Fcalc + k_sol *
exp(-B_sol*s^2) * Fmask)

More details:

- see "Relevant reading" section of phenix.refine manual (#4):
http://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/refinement.htm#anch88

- slides #19-21 here:
http://www.phenix-online.org/presentations/neutron_japan_2009/phenix_japan_part1.pdf

For poor incomplete models B_sol typically tends to refine to
nonsensical values above 100.

Pavel.