[phenixbb] How do different sections of TLS groups affect refinment

Bart, Aaron G dharma at ku.edu
Wed Jan 20 13:38:48 PST 2010

Greetings everyone,
I am still fairly new to crystallography, so forgive me for my
naivety.

My question involves how the TLSMD server segments my protein
and the effects it has on refinement. For instance when i use
"Multi-Chain Alignment Analysis", which lines the sequence for
all of my chains (a total of 12) and shows how TLS groups are
divided among them, it shows varying selections of TLS groups
among the different chains. It should be noted that the sequence
is the same for all the chains in my protein.

Also if a TLS group splits a alpha helix into multiple parts, would
this be valid? I have come to understand that helices move more like
rigid bodies than segmented groups...

Thanks!

-Aaron