[phenixbb] Defining heavy atom sites for AutoSol

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 23 11:03:33 PDT 2010

Dear Kyle,

Just to amplify what Tom said, usually if Phaser adds sites, they represent
something real, e.g. another (perhaps unexpected) anomalous scatterer (S,
Cl, metal, depending on the wavelength) or a split site arising from static
disorder. If the sites are real, deleting them can degrade your phase
quality significantly.

However, I've seen a few data sets where there's some noise in the data
that leads to false sites, so it wouldn't hurt to do a run on the side
where you limit the number of sites.

All the best,

Randy