[phenixbb] 32-bit binaries for version 1.6.3-473

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Tue Jul 27 08:39:17 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Leonid Flaks <flaks at bnl.gov> wrote:

> I am running phenix 1.6.2-432 on a set of systems running 32-bit version of
> fedora-12. The latest version of phenix (1.6.3-473) has binaries mostly for
> 64-bit OS. The only 32-bit OS I see is fedora-3. I would be happy to switch
> to 64-bit OS one day, but HKL2000 that runs on the same computers has a big
> warning about instability of it on the 64-bit (it is dated back to 2005!)
> Coot is also crashing on the the 64-bit test system, so I have to stay with
> 32-bit for now.
> Does anybody know if fc-3 version would run on f-12?

I suspect it will be okay, but I haven't tested it.  It partly depends on
which features will be used - the GUI is twitchier about system libraries on
Linux.  Fortunately, we also distribute all of the source code for Phenix,
so if the binary installer doesn't work, I'd recommend switching to the
source installer.  Are these the same machines (and OS) that were used for
RapiData?

Would it be possible to have 32-bit version built for f-12 or f-13?

Possibly - we are probably going to pull some machines from our queueing
system because they have only 8 cores, and some of these will become build
machines for additional platforms (64-bit Ubuntu and CentOS are candidates).
 Also, we now build a CentOS 5 (similar to FC6) installer - it didn't work
properly for 1.6.3, but I think I've fixed it now, and we're going to push
out a 1.6.4 very soon because of some unrelated problems in 1.6.3.

-Nat