[phenixbb] autosol interface bug? selinux conflict?

Nathaniel Echols NEchols at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 10 13:52:35 PST 2010

On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Kay Diederichs wrote:
> I wonder
> - why do Fortran binaries give a SElinux problem, and C++ binaries don't?

Because we bundle the Intel Fortran shared libraries (which are required by SOLVE) with the binary installers.

> - does the phenix installer script treat (i.e. label) C++ binaries in any special way which cannot be done for other binaries?

Nope, only the Fortran binaries get special treatment.

> If it is known that SElinux is the problem, then this already half of the solution. In general, these problems can easily be found and fixed (on RedHat-derived distros at least) by labelling libraries and binaries in a specific way which is suggested by the output of the SEtroubleshoot- daemon (to be found in /var/log/messages). If that daemon doesn't run, you may have to install it with "yum install setroubleshoot-server".

Fortunately, getting rid of Fortran should allow us to avoid the issue altogether (as well as many worse problems).  This is good info for future reference, however.

thanks,
Nat

Nathaniel Echols
Lawrence Berkeley Lab