[phenixbb] phenix gui freezes

hari jayaram harijay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 04:54:55 PST 2010

Hello John,

I have seen exactly this problem after running phenix.validate . Not only
does the GUI freeze , but it seems to take the windowing system down with
it. The window manager gets unresponsive. Remote shelling into the system
was possible , but there was no active python process that I could kill to
get control back. In the end I had to restart-X to log back in loosing what
I was doing in other windows.

I have seen this at-least 2 or 3 times on two 64 bit ubuntu hardy running
machines with phenix 1.6.289. Both boxes have 4 to 8 cores and 8 to 16 GB of
ram.

On mac OSX running 10.6.2 , on a core duo , so probably everything is
running in 32 bit mode . Things are relatively very stable. Other than a few
times where phenix said it was launching coot and just sat there, I have
been using it without incident, so much so I have switched to using my slow
laptop because of something I thought was wrong at my end.

Looking forward to troubleshooting instructions . Thanks

Hari