[phenixbb] mac os x installation binary files

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Fri May 7 13:03:03 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 12:42 PM, xaravich ivan <xaravich.ivan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Phenix users,
> I am trying to install phenix in my Mac OS X and after getting the .tar
> file and running install i get this message (screen shot attached)

Please just send us a text dump next time - even the terminal app supports
cut-and-paste.

> Could anyone help the newbie?

Which installer did you download?  Assuming it's the correct one, you
probably need to cd into the installer directory so you can run "./install".
 I'm not certain that this is the problem, but it's the first thing to try.
 Also, you appear to be trying to install from a non-root account into
/usr/local, which you probably don't have write permissions for.  You should
either run "sudo ./install", or add the "--prefix=" option to install into a
directory you control (e.g. "./install --prefix=$HOME/software").

The next version will have additional disk-image based installers for Mac,
which will allow you to avoid the command line entirely.  (The current
installation mechanism will still be possible, of course.)

-Nat