[phenixbb] about low resolution refinement

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 18 09:34:34 PDT 2010

2010/10/16 Pei-Chun Lin <pclin at hotmail.com>:
> I have the similar problem when I am working on refining my low resolution
> model (3.5 Ang).
>
> One component of my protein complex represents a beta-sandwish structure,
> and the conecting loops between beta-strands are disordered.
> After refinement, the beta-sheets were disrupted.
> What do you suggest about this problem.

The same advice as before applies: use secondary structure restraints.
 I recommend that you try to make your model as good as possible
before running the annotation (either independently or as part of
phenix.refine), because sheets are much harder to define manually and
it's better if the automatic method identifies them.

-Nat