[phenixbb] f', f'' of Bromide?

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Thu Sep 16 11:00:49 PDT 2010

Hi TriNgo

I would suggest (1) see if you can ask the staff at the synchrotron about the f' and f" values for Br at the wavelengths you used, then if that fails, then (2) just enter in the AutoSol GUI the wavelengths and Br and hit "guess f' and f" values".  This will look up values from a table of scattering factors. The values will be refined for you by AutoSol. If you have a strong anomalous signal then even if they are off this will work fine. However if the signal is weak then having the actual values can be helpful.

All the best,
Tom T

On Sep 16, 2010, at 11:55 AM, Tri Ngo wrote:

> Dear Phenix-BB members,
>
> I am trying to solve the MAD data of one bacteria protein. The crystal was soaked with 1M Sodium Bromide. The data were collected at three different wavelength.
> I intend to use Autosol to solve this structure, but I am not sure which parameter I should put in the field: f' and f''?
> I think there is a table in the synchrotron but maybe I didn't notice about that. So now what should I do?
>
> Thank you very much for your input!
> Best wishes,
>
> --
> TriNgo
> Structural Biology Lab
> School of Medicine - Sungkyunkwan University
> Phone: 031-299-6150

Thomas C. Terwilliger
Mail Stop M888
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545

Tel:  505-667-0072                 email: terwilliger at LANL.gov
Fax: 505-665-3024                 SOLVE web site: http://solve.lanl.gov
PHENIX web site: http:www.phenix-online.org
ISFI Integrated Center for Structure and Function Innovation web site: http://techcenter.mbi.ucla.edu
TB Structural Genomics Consortium web site: http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/TB