[phenixbb] Parallelization for optimization of wxu/wxc?

Andreas Förster docandreas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 05:18:20 PDT 2011

Hi Carsten,

I'm not much of an expert on phenix, but the latest newsletter states
(on page 16)

The weight optimization procedure is easy to parallelize since the
refinements with different trial weights are independent.  Starting with
PHENIX version dev-­‐810, the refinement.main.nproc parameter is
available to specify the number of CPUs the weight optimization
procedure may use in parallel.  To give one example, the command

phenix.refine 1av1.pdb 1av1.mtz \ optimize_xyz_weight=True \
optimize_adp_weight=True nproc=16

finishes in approximately 430 seconds on a 48­core 2.2GHz AMD Opteron
system.  With nproc=1 the refinement requires more than 2000 seconds on
the same machine.

Hope that help.

Andreas

--