[phenixbb] the Ming dial

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Sat Dec 3 10:56:10 PST 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Dialing Pretty <hdc123hdc123 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In the Ming dial, there is a occupancy (%), which indication of excellent ,
> good, etc. Does it mean if I choose the "occupancy" of excellent, the
> rotamer outlier ratio will be lowered? My crystal has a resolution of 2.8,
> and I find no matter how I turn the dial, the original fits the map best.
> Currently my rotamer outlier is 8%, thus I need the way to have it solved.

I'm not familiar with the program Ming - can you point us to a web page?

Regarding rotamer outliers, it may be difficult to completely
eliminate them at this resolution - the dihedral angle restraints are
not very tight.  However, you may need to adjust the backbone to get a
rotameric sidechain conformation to fit the density properly (before
and after refinement).

-Nat