[phenixbb] ADP: fix_wxu and wxu_scale

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 25 10:08:54 PST 2011

  Hi Fulvio,

to better understand this I recommend you to have a look at this article
"On atomic displacement parameters (ADP) and their parametrization in
PHENIX" here:

http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/

A quick reply:

the target function for ADP refinement is:

T = T_xray * wxu_scale * wxu + T_restraints * wu

Obviously, by making wxu_smaller you will put more emphasis on
restraints. wxu is determined by the program, and wxu_scale is to allow
the user to do adjustments (if needed or desired).

If you use fix_wxu then the target is

T = T_xray * fix_wxu + T_restraints

I would play with wxu_scale either manually or let phenix.refine to find
a good value automatically (optimize_wxu=True, or whatever is the
equivalent in the GUI). There is some information in the manual:
http://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/refinement.htm

Let me know should you have any questions.

Pavel.