[phenixbb] Global refinement parameters - use statistical model for missing atoms

Joseph Noel noel at salk.edu
Fri Jan 28 17:16:50 PST 2011

Hi All,

Does it make sense that when the box for "use statistical model for missing atoms" is picked under the GUI's "Global refinement parameters options" that one might obtain "better" Free-R values? I seem to be seeing that for a 2.3 A refinement of a crystal with a monomer of 550 residues in the asymmetric unit and 68% solvent content. When I uncheck the box I get about a 3% increase in Free-R. Is there more information about what this option is actually doing and when it might be useful to employ?

Joe
Joseph P. Noel, Ph.D.
Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Professor, The Jack H. Skirball Center for Chemical Biology and Proteomics
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
10010 North Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA  92037 USA

Phone: (858) 453-4100 extension 1442
Cell: (858) 349-4700