[phenixbb] Third issue of Computation Crystallography Newsletter - Volume 2, Number 2

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 29 07:35:42 PDT 2011

Hi Frank,

thanks for comments!

> If I had to summarise figures 1 and 2, I'd have to conclude that the
> latest weight optimization only occasionally produces better results
> than not doing it (fig 2);

not quite. If it did this then I wouldn't write a paper -;)
I'm not sure I understand what made you to make this conclusion? Could
you explain, please?

> and that therefore the old optimization was considerably worse than
> doing nothing at all.

Both weight optimizations are better than not doing weight optimization.
The new procedure is an improvement over the old one. See text of the
paper for details.