[phenixbb] XDS files in Phenix - and why not?

Felix Frolow mbfrolow at post.tau.ac.il
Fri Jun 10 09:15:46 PDT 2011

Michael,
Well, the little problem arises if one wish to refine a structure with the EXPERIMENTAL data such as intensities. There are dialects ( I presume) between various packages converting intensities to structure factors.
In addition, if the experimental data (such as merged or unmerged SCALEPACK output) is feed into PHENIX it can be used directly for refinement or for the structure determination used on anomalous data or else. Tom will correct me if I am wrong, but there is a local scaling hiding somewhere inside Solve-Resolve which may produce significantly better scaled data. I do not see why the same can not be done with XDS data.
Dr Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology
Department of Molecular Microbiology
and Biotechnology
Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica F, co-editor