[phenixbb] scattering factors

Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve rwgrosse-kunstleve at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 20 17:56:51 PDT 2011

Hi George,

> No, the factor m/m0 is independent of atom types

Can anomalous (f') and dispersive (f") contributions be ignored?

Ignoring these the structure factor equation is

f_calc += f0 * dw * occ * sym_weight * exp(2 * pi * i * x * h)

dw = isotropic or anisotropic Debye-Waller factor
occ = occupancy factor (between 0 and 1)
sym_weight = usually 1 except for special positions
x = fractional coordinate of atom
h = Miller index

f0 = Sum[a_i * exp(-b_i * stol**2)]

If you scale all the a_i by a constant factor, it is the same as
scaling the final f_calc by the same constant factor. Therefore the
m/m0 will just change the overall isotropic scale factor, which we
determine dynamically inside phenix.refine; the value isn't usually
interesting. I.e. I'd expect that you can use phenix.refine as-is.

But maybe I'm missing something important? I've never worked with
electron diffraction data.

Ralf