[phenixbb] Implementation of French & Wilson data correction?

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 1 01:05:21 PST 2011

Hi Pavel,

Actually, when we defined the MLI target (originally called MLF2: Pannu & Read, 1996), we did two tests where we compared R-factors (computed with the same set of F values) and phase errors (measured with the mean cosine of the phase error).  In one case (Streptomyces griseus trypsin, where the bovine trypsin starting model was a very poor model) the difference was very small, but in the other case (Trypanosoma brucei GAPDH) the MLI target gave significantly better results.

I'm not sure why you say that you couldn't use R-factors (though I prefer phase errors or map correlations).  You could argue that R-factors computed using F should be biased to give better results to a target based on F than on I, but that wasn't a problem in our tests.

Clearly there's room for more exhaustive tests, but that initial result demonstrated the theoretical advantage mentioned by Keitaro (accounting for negative net intensities) plus the advantage that it's a better approximation to an ideal likelihood target (measurement errors are closer to Gaussian in measured intensities than to Gaussian in amplitudes -- assumed in our MLF target -- or complex Gaussian in complex structure factors -- assumed in the Rice likelihood target).  It would also be good to bring the Rice likelihood target into the tests.

Regards,

Randy