[phenixbb] Average maps (*not* NCS averaging)

Vellieux Frederic Frederic.Vellieux at ibs.fr
Thu Mar 10 23:22:05 PST 2011

Hi,

I just want to point out that for averaging maps (i.e. averaging between
crystals instead of averaging within a single crystal as is usually
done), the 2 maps to be averaged do not necessarily have the same
distribution of density, the same density histogram, the same dynamic
range if you prefer. Averaging 2 maps which do not have the same
histograms without "real space scaling" by histogram matching (or
mapping) can lead to map deterioration instead of map improvement.

See the example given in Methods in Enzymology 277, pp18-53, the figure
showing this is on pages 36-37.

Fred.