[phenixbb] Average maps (*not* NCS averaging)

Stephen Graham scg34 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 11 03:29:14 PST 2011

Dear all,

Thanks for the many responses.

I can easily generate superposed maps using phenix.superpose_maps.
Unfortunately this doesn't create maps with the same origin and
extents, etc., thus neither COMAP nor any of the CCP4 tools I've found
will average them trivially (I was trying to be lazy and get around
having to get the maps onto the same sampling grid...).

Donnie: Can COOT average arbitrary maps?  I could not find that in the
online documentation (just NCS averaging).

Frank: Agreed when you have a high res 'good' structure and a low res
'bad' one.  I have two high res data sets where a loop is modelled
(incorrectly) in both and am trying to clean up the density for
building, rather than restrain a wayward structure to a known ideal
model.

Pavel: Unfortunately your script dies with array bounds errors:
      else: data += ma.data()
  RuntimeError: scitbx array_family range error
Is this because it assumes the two mtz files have the same resolution
(i.e. len(ma) is the same for all)?

I was not fully aware of the caveats Fred mentioned - if histogram
matching is a must I'm probably better of doing this 'properly' using
resolve/dmmulti/etc.

Again, thanks for all the comments,

Stephen

--