[phenixbb] rotamers

Phil Jeffrey pjeffrey at princeton.edu
Thu Mar 24 08:35:32 PDT 2011

The occupancy is a scalar weighting term in the structure factor
equation (or if you prefer, the electron density equation).  That's its
actual meaning, and anything else is interpretation of the meaning.

For example I think it's very unlikely that any refinement program takes
the occupancy as a probability and weight the geometric terms accordingly.

Ergo occupancy zero surely should be interpreted as meaning "this atom
doesn't contribute to the X-ray scattering in this model", which I
personally interpret as "I've got no idea where it is".  Geometry does
limit the "no idea part", naturally, but this might involve some complex
analysis of the ambiguity level of the backbone placement.

I tend to go with putting the s/c in and letting the B-factors float,
but given the nature of PDB, whatever you do is wrong for some
applications if used by someone unaware of this issue.

Cheers,
Phil Jeffrey
Princeton