[phenixbb] Omit map

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 22 22:01:08 PST 2011

Hi Rajesh,

model bias, in a nutshell, is when you see something in the map that is
conveyed by the model (that may not be correct) and not by the data.

I am not sure how one can get an idea about model bias looking at
triplet of numbers: Rwork, Rfree and Molprobity percentile. By the way,
your Rwork/Rfree look pretty good (given the 2.7A resolution).

Anyway, if everything else: bunch of model and data statistics, local
and global model-to-data quality fit all look well (*), and you are
still suspecting something isn't right, then you can invest from a few
days to a week or so into computing an "Iterative Build OMIT map" as
described here:

Iterative-build OMIT maps: map improvement by iterative model building
and refinement without model bias. T. C. Terwilliger, R. W.
Grosse-Kunstleve, P. V. Afonine, N. W. Moriarty, P. D. Adams, R. J.
Read, P. H. Zwart and L.-W. Hung Acta Cryst. D64, 515-524 (2008)

This map is supposed to be bias free.

Pavel

(*) For more details see here:
http://www.phenix-online.org/presentations/latest/pavel_validation.pdf