[phenixbb] Fucose alpha linkage

Engin Özkan eozkan at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 29 16:06:17 PST 2011

Dear Nigel and others,

I had reported a while ago that the phenix ALPHA1-3 linkage will convert
the a-L-fucose to have a beta anomer. Actually, it was even worse; at
the time the monomer library had the beta-L-fucose under the FUC-a-L entry.

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg13968.html
At the time, I had even created a flickr site to show the problem:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46544052@N03/4274285327/

It has been a while since I thought about this, but I think that this
happens specifically with L-Fucose (all other standard N-linked sugars,
I believe they are D-sugars, are fine). Since this was not resolved at
the time, I have resorted to this workaround:

Use your own FUC.cif, where you are sure that the C1 chiral center is alpha.
Use BETA1-3, BETA1-6 linkages to enforce alpha linkages.

I hope my memory is serving me right on this.

Since then, CNS 1.3 has incorporated the correct linkages. Please see
the carbohydrate.top file in your CNS installation. There, on top of A13
and A16, there are separate A13L and A16L linkages for FUC (I guess L
stands for L-sugars, which applies only to Fucose). I would really love
to see this corrected in Phenix and CCP4 monomer libraries (if it has
already been fixed, thank you!).

Cheers,
Engin

P.S. Here is how CNS 1.3 does N-linked linkages:

REMARKS B1N: N-linked glycan beta link from NAG and NDG to ASN (asparagine)
!            note: PDB files with unusual NDG to ASN links are likely
incorrect assignments
!            they will be forced into the beta anomer by the B1N link.

REMARKS B12: beta(1,2)  link from BGC, GAL, BMA, NAG, FCB, XYP to any
REMARKS B14: beta(1,4)  link from BGC, GAL, BMA, NAG, FCB, XYP to any
REMARKS A12: alpha(1,2) link from GLC, GLA, MAN, NDG, A2G, FCA to any
REMARKS A13: alpha(1,3) link from GLC, GLA, MAN, NDG, A2G, FCA to any
REMARKS A14: alpha(1,4) link from GLC, GLA, MAN, NDG, A2G, FCA to any
REMARKS A16: alpha(1,6) link from GLC, GLA, MAN, NDG, A2G, FCA to any

REMARKS B12L: beta(1,2)  link from FUL to any
REMARKS B14L: beta(1,4)  link from FUL to any
REMARKS A12L: alpha(1,2) link from FUC to any
REMARKS A13L: alpha(1,3) link from FUC to any
REMARKS A14L: alpha(1,4) link from FUC to any
REMARKS A16L: alpha(1,6) link from FUC to any

REMARKS A23: alpha(2,3) link from GAL to SIA
REMARKS A26: alpha(2,6) link from GAL to SIA