[phenixbb] exploring the conformational space of sidechains

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Oct 27 00:19:58 PDT 2011

Hi Francois,

if you are still interested, tomorrow I can write a 10-line Python
script that will do what you want.

I will probably need to know what you mean by "different but also
reasonable sidechains conformations" (just to eliminate guesses)?

For each residue I can generate an ensemble of plausible rotamers (based
on Molrpobity library). Obviously, some of them will be clashing with
the neighbor atoms, which I can resolve by 1) simply not adding such
rotamers, or 2) doing some geometry regularization to ease the clashes.
Any of two are trivially done. Then I simply write a new PDB file with
such side chain ensembles.

So, please give me more information about how you want to have it done,
and confirm that you still want it, and I will do it tomorrow (this is
somewhat inline with what I am doing right now anyway).

Pavel.